Tennessee is a state that offers a wide range of activities and attractions for visitors. From the bustling city of Nashville to the serene Smoky Mountains, there is something for everyone. One of the best ways to experience all that Tennessee has to offer is by taking a weekend getaway.
Whether you’re looking for a romantic escape with your significant other or a fun-filled adventure with friends, Tennessee has plenty of options. From exploring the vibrant music scene in Nashville to hiking the trails in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, there are endless possibilities for a memorable weekend getaway.
With so many options to choose from, it can be overwhelming to plan the perfect weekend getaway in Tennessee. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of the best weekend getaways in Tennessee, based on factors such as location, activities, and accommodations. So pack your bags and get ready to explore all that the Volunteer State has to offer!
Best Places to Visit in Tennessee for a Weekend Getaway
Tennessee offers a variety of options for a weekend getaway, from exploring the Great Smoky Mountains to experiencing the vibrant music scene in Nashville. Here are some of the best places to visit:
1. Great Smoky Mountains National Park
As one of the most popular national parks in the country, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park offers stunning views of the mountain range, diverse wildlife, and numerous hiking trails. Visitors can also explore the historic buildings and exhibits at the park’s visitor centers.
Nashville, the capital of Tennessee, is known for its vibrant music scene and southern charm. Visitors can explore the city’s many music venues, including the Grand Ole Opry and the Country Music Hall of Fame. Other popular attractions include the Parthenon, a full-scale replica of the ancient Greek structure, and the Belle Meade Plantation, a historic mansion and winery.
Located in southeastern Tennessee, Chattanooga offers a blend of outdoor activities and cultural attractions. Visitors can explore the Tennessee Aquarium, take a scenic ride on the Lookout Mountain Incline Railway, or hike the trails at nearby Signal Mountain.
4. Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge is a popular destination for families, with attractions such as Dollywood, a theme park owned by country music star Dolly Parton, and the Titanic Museum, a replica of the famous ship. Visitors can also explore the nearby Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
Memphis is known for its rich musical history, including the birthplace of rock ‘n’ roll and home of the blues. Visitors can explore the historic Sun Studio, where Elvis Presley recorded his first single, or tour Graceland, the former home of the legendary singer. Other popular attractions include the National Civil Rights Museum and the Memphis Zoo.
Overall, Tennessee offers a diverse range of options for a weekend getaway, from natural wonders to cultural attractions. Whether you’re looking for outdoor adventure or a taste of southern hospitality, Tennessee has something to offer.
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- Visit Music City – Nashville
- Chattanooga Fun
- My Pigeon Forge
- Memphis Travel
If you’re looking for some outdoor fun in Tennessee, you won’t be disappointed. With its diverse landscapes, Tennessee offers a variety of outdoor activities for all ages and skill levels. Here are some of the best outdoor activities to try during your weekend getaway:
- Experience Tennessee Outdoor Adventures: This website offers a comprehensive guide to outdoor activities in Tennessee. Whether you’re into hiking, biking, fishing, or wildlife watching, you’ll find plenty of options here.
- Hiking: Tennessee is home to some of the most beautiful hiking trails in the country. From the Smoky Mountains to the Cumberland Plateau, you’ll find trails for all skill levels. Some of the most popular trails include the Appalachian Trail, the Alum Cave Trail, and the Laurel Falls Trail.
- Water Sports: Tennessee is known for its beautiful lakes and rivers, making it a popular destination for water sports enthusiasts. Whether you’re into kayaking, canoeing, swimming, or fishing, you’ll find plenty of options here. Some of the most popular water sports destinations include Percy Priest Lake, Tennessee River, and Cherokee Lake.
- Biking: With its rolling hills and scenic routes, Tennessee is a great place for biking enthusiasts. Some of the most popular biking trails include the Tennessee Riverpark, the Battlefield Bike Trail, and the Memphis Greenline.
With so many outdoor activities to choose from, you’ll never run out of things to do during your weekend getaway in Tennessee.
Tennessee is rich in history and offers a plethora of historic sites for visitors to explore. Here are some of the top historic sites to consider on your weekend getaway:
- The Ultimate Tennessee Road Trip for History Buffs: This road trip takes you through some of the most significant historical sites in Tennessee, including the Hermitage, the home of President Andrew Jackson, and the Shiloh National Military Park.
- Ryman Auditorium: Known as the “Mother Church of Country Music,” the Ryman Auditorium is a National Historic Landmark and has hosted some of the biggest names in music.
- Belle Meade Historic Site & Winery: This historic site was once a world-renowned thoroughbred horse farm and now offers tours of the mansion and winery, as well as tastings of their award-winning wines.
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park: This national park is not only beautiful but also rich in history. Visitors can explore the historic structures in Cades Cove, including churches, cabins, and gristmill.
These are just a few of the many historic sites that Tennessee has to offer. Whether you’re a history buff or just looking to learn more about the state, these sites are definitely worth a visit.
One of the best things about visiting Tennessee is the opportunity to indulge in the state’s unique culinary scene. From traditional southern comfort food to innovative fusion dishes, Tennessee has something for every palate. Here are some culinary delights to check out during your Tennessee weekend getaway:
Nashville Hot Chicken: No trip to Tennessee is complete without trying the iconic Nashville Hot Chicken. This spicy fried chicken dish is served with pickles and white bread, and can be found at many restaurants throughout Nashville. According to BBC Travel, Prince’s Hot Chicken Shack is the birthplace of this famous dish and is a must-visit for any foodie.
BBQ: Tennessee is known for its BBQ, and there are many great spots to try this southern staple. Whether you prefer Memphis-style dry-rubbed ribs or saucy pulled pork, you won’t be disappointed. According to TN Vacation, Central BBQ in Memphis and Martin’s BBQ Joint in Nashville are two top picks for BBQ lovers.
Craft Beer: Tennessee has a thriving craft beer scene, with many breweries offering unique and flavorful beers. According to Vacation Idea, Yazoo Brewing Company in Nashville and Wiseacre Brewing Company in Memphis are two top breweries to check out during your weekend getaway.
Jack Daniel’s Distillery: For whiskey lovers, a visit to the Jack Daniel’s Distillery in Lynchburg is a must. According to Forks on the Road, the distillery offers tours and tastings, as well as a chance to learn about the history and production of this iconic Tennessee whiskey.
With so many delicious options to choose from, your taste buds will be in heaven during your Tennessee weekend getaway.
Tennessee offers many great options for accommodations, from famous hotels near well-known attractions to quiet country hideaways. Here are some of the best options:
- Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center: This resort is located in Nashville and features over 2,800 guest rooms, nine acres of indoor gardens, and multiple restaurants and bars. It’s a great option for those looking for a luxurious stay.
- Blackberry Farm: This luxury resort is located in Walland and offers guests a peaceful retreat in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains. The resort features multiple dining options, a spa, and outdoor activities such as hiking and fly fishing.
- Little River Cabin: This cozy cabin is located in Townsend and offers guests a quiet retreat in the mountains. The cabin features a full kitchen, fireplace, and outdoor hot tub.
For those looking for a more unique experience, there are also options such as:
- Hutton Hotel: This Nashville hotel offers guests a unique experience with its art-filled rooms and music-inspired decor. The hotel also features a rooftop bar and live music performances.
- The Dwell Hotel: This Chattanooga hotel features retro-inspired decor and offers guests a unique experience with its themed rooms. The hotel also features a restaurant and bar.
Overall, Tennessee offers a wide variety of accommodations to suit any traveler’s needs and preferences.
Overall, Tennessee offers a diverse range of weekend getaway options for travelers. Whether you’re looking for a romantic escape, an adventure-filled trip, or a relaxing retreat, there’s something for everyone in this beautiful state.
From the vibrant city of Nashville to the stunning natural beauty of the Great Smoky Mountains, Tennessee is a destination that should be on every traveler’s radar. With so many unique attractions and experiences to discover, it’s no wonder that Tennessee has become one of the most popular weekend getaway destinations in the United States.
If you’re looking for a weekend getaway that combines history, culture, and natural beauty, then Tennessee is the perfect destination for you. With its rich musical heritage, delicious cuisine, and breathtaking scenery, this state has something to offer every type of traveler.
So why not start planning your next weekend getaway to Tennessee today? Whether you’re looking to explore the city, hit the trails, or simply relax and unwind, you’re sure to have an unforgettable experience in this amazing state.