Oklahoma may not be the first place that comes to mind when thinking of weekend getaways, but the state offers a variety of options for those looking for a quick escape. From romantic cabins to family-friendly destinations, Oklahoma has something for everyone.
For those looking for a romantic getaway, Oklahoma has secluded cabins, lakeside retreats, and spa resorts. Couples can enjoy a weekend of relaxation and rejuvenation while surrounded by nature. Families can also find plenty of options, from outdoor adventures to city attractions.
Whether you’re looking for a peaceful countryside retreat or an urban adventure, Oklahoma has it all. With so many options to choose from, it’s easy to plan a quick weekend getaway without breaking the bank. So pack your bags and get ready to explore all that Oklahoma has to offer!
Oklahoma is a great destination for outdoor enthusiasts, with plenty of opportunities for hiking, fishing, kayaking, and more. Here are a few ideas for outdoor adventures to add to your weekend getaway itinerary:
- Lower Mountain Fork River: Go kayaking on the Lower Mountain Fork River in Broken Bow. This beautiful river is perfect for all skill levels and offers stunning views of the surrounding scenery.
- Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge: Hike the Bison Trail in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge for a chance to see bison, elk, and other wildlife. This challenging hike is about 4 miles round trip and offers breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains.
- Turner Falls Park: Swim at Turner Falls, a natural swimming hole surrounded by stunning waterfalls and cliffs. This popular destination can get crowded, so plan to arrive early.
These are just a few of the many outdoor adventures available in Oklahoma. Whether you’re an experienced hiker or just looking for a relaxing day on the river, there’s something for everyone in the Sooner State.
Oklahoma has a rich and diverse cultural heritage, with a variety of museums and historical sites that offer a glimpse into the state’s past and present. Here are a few cultural excursions that are worth exploring:
- National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum: This museum is dedicated to preserving the history and culture of the American West. Visitors can explore exhibits on cowboys, Native Americans, and Western art, among other topics.
- Oklahoma History Center: This museum covers the entire history of Oklahoma, from prehistoric times to the present day. Exhibits include artifacts, photographs, and interactive displays.
- Chickasaw Cultural Center: This center celebrates the culture and heritage of the Chickasaw Nation, one of Oklahoma’s Native American tribes. Visitors can learn about Chickasaw history, language, and traditions through exhibits, demonstrations, and performances.
In addition to these museums, there are also several historical sites and landmarks that are worth visiting:
- Fort Sill National Historic Landmark and Museum: This military fort was established in the 19th century and played a key role in the Indian Wars. Today, it is a museum and historic site that offers tours and exhibits on the fort’s history.
- Washita Battlefield National Historic Site: This site marks the location of a battle between the U.S. Army and the Cheyenne and Arapaho tribes in 1868. Visitors can learn about the history of the conflict and the impact it had on the Native American tribes.
- Trail of Tears National Historic Trail: This trail commemorates the forced removal of several Native American tribes, including the Cherokee, from their ancestral lands in the southeastern United States to Indian Territory (now Oklahoma) in the 1830s. Visitors can explore historic sites and learn about the history of the Trail of Tears.
These cultural excursions offer a fascinating look into Oklahoma’s rich history and diverse cultural heritage. Whether you’re a history buff or just looking to learn something new, these museums and landmarks are definitely worth a visit.
One highly recommended option is River’s Edge Cottages, located in Watson. These secluded cabins offer stunning views of the Kiamichi River and are equipped with private hot tubs, fireplaces, and full kitchens. Couples can enjoy a peaceful retreat in the beautiful Oklahoma countryside.
Another great choice is Echo Canyon Spa Resort in Sulphur. This adults-only resort offers luxurious accommodations, a full-service spa, and a gourmet restaurant. Couples can relax and unwind in the hot tubs, saunas, and steam rooms, or take a romantic stroll through the beautiful gardens.
For those looking for a more urban getaway, the Skirvin Hilton Oklahoma City is a top pick. This historic hotel offers elegant rooms and suites, a full-service spa, and a rooftop bar with stunning views of the city skyline. Couples can enjoy a romantic dinner at the on-site restaurant or explore the nearby Bricktown entertainment district.
Other romantic options include the Shiloh Morning Inn in Ardmore, Cedar Rock Inn in Tulsa, and the Colcord Hotel in Oklahoma City. Each of these properties offers unique amenities and settings for a romantic weekend away.
No matter which destination couples choose, a romantic getaway in Oklahoma is sure to be a memorable experience.
Oklahoma is a great place for families to spend a weekend getaway. Here are a few family-friendly destinations:
- Oklahoma City – Oklahoma City is a great destination for families. It has a lot of museums and attractions, including the Oklahoma City Zoo, the Science Museum Oklahoma, and the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum.
- Beavers Bend – Beavers Bend is a great destination for families who love the outdoors. It has hiking trails, fishing, and water activities. There are also cabins and camping sites available.
- Grand Lake – Grand Lake is a great destination for families who want to relax and enjoy the water. There are a lot of resorts and vacation rentals available. Families can go boating, fishing, swimming, and enjoy other water activities.
These are just a few of the family-friendly destinations in Oklahoma. Families can also check out the Travel Oklahoma website for more information on family-friendly activities and destinations.
When it comes to food, Oklahoma City has a lot to offer. From classic Southern cuisine to innovative fusion dishes, there’s something for every foodie to enjoy. Here are some of the best foodie finds in Oklahoma City:
- Food Truck Wednesday: Every Wednesday, food trucks from around the city gather in the Nichols Hills Plaza for a foodie extravaganza. Sample everything from tacos to barbecue to gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches.
- First Friday Gallery Walk: On the first Friday of every month, the Paseo Arts District comes alive with art, music, and food. Sample some of the city’s best food trucks, or stop by one of the district’s many restaurants for a sit-down meal.
- Taste of the Tower: This annual event at the Oklahoma City Botanical Gardens features food and drink from some of the city’s best chefs and mixologists. Enjoy live music and stunning views of the gardens while you sample some of the city’s most innovative cuisine.
If you’re looking for a more traditional dining experience, check out some of Oklahoma City’s classic Southern restaurants:
|Iron Star Urban BBQ
|Pearl’s Oyster Bar
|Chicken fried steak
For something a little more upscale, try one of Oklahoma City’s fine dining restaurants:
- Vast: Located on the top floor of the Devon Tower, Vast offers stunning views of the city along with an innovative menu featuring locally sourced ingredients.
- Mary Eddy’s Kitchen x Lounge: This trendy restaurant in the 21c Museum Hotel offers a menu inspired by global cuisine, with dishes like Korean fried chicken and Moroccan-spiced lamb shank.
- Nonesuch: This intimate restaurant offers a tasting menu that changes frequently based on the availability of local ingredients. Reservations are required and can be hard to come by, but the dining experience is well worth it.
No matter what type of cuisine you’re in the mood for, Oklahoma City has something to offer. Come hungry and leave satisfied!
Oklahoma is a great destination for weekend getaways, offering a variety of attractions and activities for every type of traveler. Whether you’re looking to explore the outdoors, relax in a cozy cabin, or experience the excitement of a big city, Oklahoma has something for you.
From the scenic Broken Bow Lake to the bustling city of Oklahoma City, there are plenty of options to choose from. Some of the most popular weekend getaways in Oklahoma include:
- 21 of the Best Weekend Getaways in Oklahoma
- 35 Best Weekend Getaways in Oklahoma (2023) – Quick Trips!
- 48-Hour Fall Getaways in Oklahoma – TravelOK.com
Whether you’re traveling with family, friends, or that special someone, there’s something for everyone in Oklahoma. With its beautiful scenery, rich history, and friendly people, Oklahoma is a great place to escape for a weekend getaway.
So pack your bags and hit the road to Oklahoma. You won’t be disappointed!