When you think of Austin, the first thing that comes into mind is the slogan “Keep Austin Weird.” The motto is recognized all over the country. You see it on t-shirts, shot glasses and frisbees. It was first said in 2000 by Austin native Red Wassinech. He called KOOP radio after he made a donation to it, telling the interviewer he was donating because it “Keeps Austin weird.” The interview has since gone viral and the phrase has caught on, beautifully capturing the vibe of Austin.
Different people have different views on why Austin is weird. Some people would say that this is because of the city’s mountainous terrain, it’s hot and humid climate, its low population density, or even it’s liberal culture.
The slogan has taken on a life of its own over the years, and it has become more than just a phase for this city. It is a way of life for many people who live here. The locals are proud to say that they have embraced this unique identity. This slogan has been around since the 1990’s and was originally used to promote diversity and liberalism in Austin.
Some argue that it takes years to absorb all the weirdness Austin has to offer, while others say you can do it in just a day by visiting some of these places: Bat-Bar, Elephant Room or Buffalo Billiards.
Austin’s commitment to diversity and inclusion sets it apart from other cities. Austinites are proud of what the city has accomplished, and they will continue to do everything in their power to keep it up. That’s why we can proudly say that Austin is weird and will always be weird.
How are residents living in this weird city?
The city of Austin is weird. There’s no denying it. But what about the people who live there? What do they think of their weird city? Here is a quote from a resident!
I’ve been living here for a few years now, ever since I got my college degree. In those 3 years, this weird city has been good to me. I know that it’s not the most popular place in Texas, but I love living here, and I find myself loving it even more as time goes on.
Weird Jobs You Can Find in Austin, Texas
Austin is a hub for weird jobs. It has the largest concentration of creatives in America. This includes artists, musicians, and writers. Austin is also home to a wide variety of companies, including Dell and Apple. These companies have created a very diverse workforce which offers many opportunities for weird jobs.
The weirdest job I was able to find in Austin was that of the “Death Tour” guide. They are paid to take people on tours around cemeteries and teach them about the history of death. The person who currently holds this position takes people on tours at night so they can see the city from a different perspective.
If you are looking for an out of the ordinary job, Austin is a great place to find it. You will find everything from massage therapist to pet groomer. But, we all have that friend who always seems to be doing something weird at work. Well, they are probably in one of these jobs.
1) Animal handler – If you love animals and want to get paid for working with them all day long, then this may be the perfect job for you.
2) Clown – Believe it or not, there is a high demand for clowns, and they can make good money as well!
3) Professional mourner – The perfect job for people who love funerals? This profession is a real thing! There are different types of mourners, and each one has their own way of mourning.
4) Cereal Tester: Cereal companies often run small focus groups to test their products before launching them nationwide. So if you want a free box of cereal every month or two, then this is the perfect job for you!
5) Bedbug Catcher: If your job is catching bedbugs and other pests then congrats – You’re an expert at what many people don’t even want to think about
Fun Spots That Make Austin Weird and Unique
Austin, TX is a very different place than most people are used to. It is a unique combination of the old and the new, the conventional and the rebellious. Austin is home to the world’s largest urban bat colony, the Texas State Capitol featuring a 55-foot tall Goddess of Liberty statue, and more live music venues per capita than anywhere else in the country. From Barton Springs Pool to Austin City Limits Music Festival, there are plenty of fun spots that make Austin weird and unique.
Austin has many features that make it a fun place to visit. Some of these features include:
- Live music is everywhere – it’s not uncommon for someone to be performing on any given street corner!
- There are also plenty of restaurants and bars that offer live music performances as well!
- There is never a shortage of events going on – there is something for everyone in Austin!
- Austin has the largest bat colony in North America and therefore has some pretty cool bat-watching tours available on specific days throughout the year.
- The city also has a golf club called Barton Creek Golf Course which features two waterfalls inside. Yes, you read that right – waterfalls inside!
- These are only some of the cool things that make Austin such an awesome destination.
The city of Austin, Texas, is a strange place. It’s a traditional liberal stronghold in the most conservative state in the United States. It’s got one of the fastest-growing economies in the country, and it’s been named by many publications as one of the best places to live, work and play. Austin’s uniqueness is reflected in its labels- weird, liberal, and accepting. Austin is a city of color, a city of peace, a city that celebrates diversity.
Austin isn’t just one thing. It’s an eclectic mix of people who refuse to be categorized by others. Austin is the kind of place where you can be yourself without feeling judged or outcasted. It’s the home to some of the best live music in the world, and it has one of the most diverse food scenes in America with almost every cuisine represented here somewhere on this vast landscape.