Looking for a quick getaway from Bangalore? Consider a road trip to Alleppey, a charming town in Kerala known for its serene backwaters and houseboat cruises. With a distance of approximately 600 km, the journey can be covered in around 10 hours, making it an ideal destination for a 3-night road trip.
Starting from Bangalore, the route to Alleppey takes you through some of the most scenic regions of South India. You can choose to take a pit stop at Mysore, known for its grand palaces and vibrant markets, or at Coorg, a hill station famous for its coffee plantations and waterfalls. As you near Alleppey, the landscape changes to lush greenery and serene backwaters, offering a glimpse of the town’s laid-back charm. Once you reach Alleppey, you can spend your days exploring the backwaters on a houseboat, indulging in local seafood delicacies, and soaking in the town’s rich cultural heritage.
Planning Your Roadtrip
Planning a road trip from Bangalore to Alleppey can be an exciting adventure. Here are some tips to make your trip a success.
Before hitting the road, it’s essential to do some research to ensure that you have a smooth journey. Check the road conditions, weather forecast, and plan your route accordingly. You can use online maps and apps like Google Maps to find the best route. Also, research the places you want to visit and make a list of the must-see attractions.
To make the most of your three-night road trip to Alleppey, you need to have a well-planned itinerary. You can customize your itinerary based on your interests and preferences. Some of the popular places to visit in Alleppey include the backwaters, beaches, and temples. You can also plan a day trip to nearby destinations like Munnar or Kochi.
If you’re looking for a weekend getaway from Bangalore, Alleppey is an excellent choice. You can leave Bangalore on Friday evening and reach Alleppey by Saturday morning. Spend the weekend exploring the town’s attractions and return to Bangalore on Monday morning.
Customize Your Trip
One of the advantages of a road trip is that you can customize your trip to suit your preferences. You can choose to stay in budget hotels or luxury resorts, depending on your budget. You can also plan your route based on the places you want to visit.
Before embarking on your road trip, it’s essential to check the road conditions. The roads from Bangalore to Alleppey are in good condition, but it’s always better to be prepared. Carry a spare tire, a tool kit, and a first-aid kit in case of emergencies.
With proper planning and preparation, your road trip from Bangalore to Alleppey can be an unforgettable experience.
Bangalore to Alleppey: Route and Stops
If you are planning a 3-night road trip from Bangalore to Alleppey, there are several routes you can take depending on your preferences. Here’s a suggested itinerary with stops along the way.
Bangalore to Coimbatore
The first leg of the journey is from Bangalore to Coimbatore, which is about 360 km and takes around 7 hours by car. The route passes through Hosur, Salem, and Erode. The roads are generally in good condition, but be aware of occasional potholes and speed bumps.
Coimbatore to Munnar
From Coimbatore, the route to Munnar is about 160 km and takes around 4 hours by car. The route passes through Pollachi and Udumalpet before entering the scenic Western Ghats. The roads are winding and narrow, so drive carefully and be prepared for some steep climbs and descents.
Along the way, there are several places to stop and explore, including:
- Yercaud: a hill station known for its scenic beauty and coffee plantations
- Gobichettipalayam: a town known for its temples and agricultural produce
- Marandahalli: a small village known for its silk weaving and handloom industry
Munnar to Alleppey
The final leg of the journey is from Munnar to Alleppey, which is about 160 km and takes around 4 hours by car. The route passes through the scenic Western Ghats and the town of Kottayam before reaching Alleppey.
Along the way, there are several places to stop and explore, including:
- Tea gardens: Munnar is known for its tea plantations, so take a break and enjoy some tea and snacks
- Waterfalls: there are several waterfalls along the route, including the Valara and Cheeyappara waterfalls
- Backwaters: Alleppey is famous for its backwaters, so take a boat ride and enjoy the scenic beauty
If you prefer, you can also reverse the direction of the journey and start from Alleppey and end in Bangalore. Regardless of the direction, be sure to check road conditions and weather before embarking on the journey.
Alleppey, also known as Alappuzha, is a beautiful town located on the coast of the Arabian Sea in Kerala. It is a popular tourist destination, especially for its backwaters, beaches, and houseboats. In this section, we will explore some of the must-visit places in Alleppey.
The backwaters of Alleppey are a network of interconnected canals, lagoons, and lakes that run parallel to the Arabian Sea. They are a major tourist attraction and offer a unique experience to visitors. You can take a houseboat cruise or a motorboat ride to explore the backwaters. During your ride, you can enjoy the serene beauty of the surroundings, spot exotic birds, and witness the daily life of the locals.
Alleppey has some of the most beautiful beaches in Kerala. One of the most popular beaches is the Alappuzha Beach, which is known for its golden sand and clear waters. You can take a stroll along the beach, enjoy the sunset, or indulge in some beach activities like swimming, sunbathing, and surfing. The beach also has a pier, where you can enjoy a panoramic view of the sea.
Tourist Attractions in Alleppey
Apart from the backwaters and beaches, Alleppey has many other tourist attractions that you can visit. Some of the popular ones include:
- Krishnapuram Palace: It is a 16th-century palace that showcases the traditional architecture and culture of Kerala. The palace has a museum that displays antique sculptures, paintings, and weapons.
- Ambalapuzha Temple: It is a famous temple dedicated to Lord Krishna, located in the town of Ambalapuzha. The temple is known for its delicious prasadam, which is a sweet pudding made of rice and milk.
- Alleppey Lighthouse: It is a 150-year-old lighthouse that offers a panoramic view of the town and the sea. You can climb up the lighthouse and enjoy the view from the top.
- Nehru Trophy Boat Race: It is an annual boat race that takes place in the Punnamada Lake in Alleppey. The race is a major tourist attraction and draws a large crowd from all over the world.
In conclusion, Alleppey is a beautiful town that offers a unique experience to visitors. Whether you want to explore the backwaters, relax on the beaches, or visit the tourist attractions, Alleppey has something for everyone.
Accommodation in Alleppey
When planning a road trip to Alleppey from Bangalore, it is important to consider the accommodation options available in the area. There are plenty of hotels and resorts in Alleppey that cater to different budgets and preferences.
One popular option is to stay in a houseboat, which allows visitors to experience the backwaters of Alleppey up close. These houseboats come with all the necessary amenities and provide a unique and memorable experience. However, it is important to note that houseboats can be expensive, especially during peak season.
For those looking for more traditional accommodation, there are plenty of hotels and resorts in Alleppey that offer comfortable and affordable options. Some popular choices include:
- Lemon Tree Vembanad Lake Resort: This resort is located on the banks of Vembanad Lake and offers beautiful views of the backwaters. The rooms are spacious and come with all the necessary amenities.
- Ramada Alleppey: This hotel is located in the heart of Alleppey and offers easy access to all the major attractions in the area. The rooms are comfortable and come with modern amenities.
- Lake Palace Resort: This resort is located on the banks of Punnamada Lake and offers stunning views of the backwaters. The rooms are spacious and come with all the necessary amenities.
Most hotels and resorts in Alleppey offer twin sharing options, which is a great way to save money on accommodation. It is important to book in advance, especially during peak season, to ensure availability and get the best rates.
Overall, there are plenty of accommodation options in Alleppey that cater to different budgets and preferences. Whether you choose to stay in a houseboat or a hotel, you are sure to have a comfortable and enjoyable stay in this beautiful part of Kerala.
Culinary Delights in Alleppey
Alleppey is not just famous for its backwaters and beaches, but also for its mouth-watering local cuisine. The food of Alleppey is a blend of Kerala’s traditional cuisine with a touch of coastal flavors. Here are some of the must-try culinary delights in Alleppey:
- Karimeen Pollichathu: This is a popular dish in Alleppey, made with pearl spot fish, marinated with a blend of spices and grilled in banana leaves. It is a must-try dish for seafood lovers.
- Appam with Stew: Appam is a type of pancake made with fermented rice batter and coconut milk. It is best served with vegetable or meat stew, which is a flavorful curry made with coconut milk and spices.
- Puttu and Kadala Curry: Puttu is a cylindrical-shaped steamed rice cake, and Kadala curry is a spicy curry made with black chickpeas. This is a staple breakfast dish in Alleppey and is a must-try for those who want to experience the local flavors.
- Thaff Delicacy: This restaurant is famous for its seafood dishes, especially the Karimeen Pollichathu. The restaurant also offers a variety of vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes.
- Cassia: This restaurant is known for its cozy ambiance and serves a variety of Indian and international cuisines. The restaurant also has a bar that serves a range of cocktails and mocktails.
- Halais: Halais is a popular restaurant in Alleppey that serves authentic Kerala cuisine. The restaurant is known for its traditional ambiance and serves a variety of vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes.
In conclusion, Alleppey is a food lover’s paradise with a variety of local dishes and restaurants to choose from. Make sure to try out some of the local delicacies during your visit to Alleppey.
Shopping in Alleppey
Alleppey is not just famous for its backwaters and houseboats, but also for its shopping destinations. The town is a hub for handicrafts, spices, and coir products. Here are some of the best places to shop in Alleppey:
- Mullakkal Street Market: Located in the heart of the town, this market is a paradise for shopaholics. From spices to clothes, you can find everything here. Bargaining is a common practice, so make sure to negotiate the prices.
- Canal Bazaar: This market is located near the backwaters and is famous for its coir products. You can find mats, bags, and other items made of coir here. The prices are reasonable, and the quality is excellent.
- Chandiroor Market: This market is located on the outskirts of the town and is famous for its fresh seafood. You can buy prawns, crabs, and fish here at reasonable prices. The market is open early in the morning, so make sure to visit it early.
- Coir Factory Outlets: Alleppey is famous for its coir products, and you can find many coir factory outlets here. The products are of high quality, and the prices are reasonable. You can buy coir carpets, mats, and bags here.
- Spice Shops: Alleppey is also famous for its spices, and you can find many spice shops here. You can buy cardamom, pepper, cinnamon, and other spices here. The prices are reasonable, and the quality is excellent.
- Handicraft Shops: Alleppey is home to many talented artisans, and you can find many handicraft shops here. You can buy wooden carvings, brass lamps, and other handicrafts here. The prices are reasonable, and the quality is excellent.
In conclusion, shopping in Alleppey is a unique experience, and you can find many unique products here. Make sure to visit the markets and shops mentioned above to get the best shopping experience.
If you have some extra time during your road trip to Alleppey, there are some nearby destinations that are worth exploring. Here are a few suggestions:
Day Trips to Kochi
Kochi, also known as Cochin, is a bustling port city located on the west coast of India. It is about a 2-hour drive from Alleppey, making it a perfect day trip destination. The city is famous for its historic sites, including Fort Kochi, which is home to many colonial-era buildings and landmarks. You can also visit the Jewish Synagogue, the Dutch Palace, and the St. Francis Church. Kochi is also a great place to go shopping for spices, textiles, and handicrafts.
Thrissur is a city in central Kerala, about 2.5 hours from Alleppey. It is known for its cultural and religious significance, as well as its beautiful architecture. One of the main attractions in Thrissur is the Vadakkumnathan Temple, which is dedicated to Lord Shiva. The temple is famous for its stunning architecture and intricate carvings. You can also visit the Thrissur Zoo, which is home to a variety of animals, including tigers, lions, and elephants.
Thekkady is a town located in the Periyar National Park, about 4 hours from Alleppey. It is known for its wildlife sanctuary, which is home to a variety of animals, including elephants, tigers, and bison. You can take a boat ride on the Periyar Lake to see the wildlife up close. Thekkady is also a great place to go trekking, with many trails that lead through the forest and hills.
Overall, these nearby destinations offer a great way to explore more of Kerala during your road trip to Alleppey. Keep in mind that some of these places may require a flight plan or additional transportation arrangements.
If you’re looking for a hassle-free and enjoyable way to explore Alleppey, then a tour package might be the perfect option for you. There are a variety of Alleppey tour packages available that cater to different preferences and budgets. Here are some of the top options to consider:
Kerala Tour Packages: Kerala is a popular tourist destination in India known for its natural beauty, rich culture, and delicious cuisine. Many tour packages include a visit to Alleppey as part of a broader Kerala itinerary. These packages typically include transportation, accommodation, meals, and sightseeing activities.
Alleppey Tour Packages: If you want to focus solely on exploring Alleppey, then an Alleppey tour package might be the best fit for you. These packages can range from short-term weekend stays to longer-term trips that allow you to fully immerse yourself in the local culture and attractions.
Kerala Honeymoon Packages: If you’re planning a romantic getaway to Alleppey, then a Kerala honeymoon package might be the perfect option for you. These packages typically include romantic accommodations, candlelit dinners, and special activities designed for couples.
Kerala Holiday Packages: If you’re looking for a family-friendly option, then a Kerala holiday package might be the way to go. These packages typically include activities that are suitable for all ages, as well as accommodations that can accommodate larger groups.
Bestselling Packages: If you’re not sure where to start, then consider looking at some of the bestselling tour packages. These packages are typically popular for a reason and can provide a good starting point for planning your trip.
Weekend Tours: If you’re short on time, then a weekend tour might be the perfect option for you. These tours typically include a quick trip to Alleppey, allowing you to experience the highlights of the area without taking too much time off from work or other obligations.
TravelTriangle Packages: TravelTriangle is a popular online travel agency that offers a variety of Alleppey tour packages. These packages can be customized to fit your preferences and budget, making it easy to plan the perfect trip.
Overall, there are many different tour package options to choose from when planning a trip to Alleppey. Consider your preferences and budget when selecting a package, and don’t be afraid to ask questions or make special requests to ensure that your trip is enjoyable and memorable.
Planning a road trip to Alleppey from Bangalore can be an exciting experience for travelers looking for a vacation that offers scenic beauty and adventure. Here are a few travel tips to help you make the most of your trip:
Research Locations and Check Weather
Before embarking on your journey, it is essential to research locations to stop along the way. This will help you plan your route and ensure that you don’t miss out on any must-visit places. Additionally, it is crucial to check road conditions and weather forecasts to ensure a smooth and safe journey.
Set a Budget
Setting a budget is crucial when planning a road trip. It will help you manage your expenses and ensure that you don’t overspend. Consider factors such as fuel costs, accommodation, food, and activities when setting your budget.
Consider Your Preferences
Everyone has different preferences when it comes to travel. Some prefer luxury, while others prefer a more rustic experience. Consider your preferences when planning your road trip to Alleppey. This will help you choose the right accommodation and activities that suit your taste.
Consult Travel Experts
Consulting travel experts can be beneficial when planning a road trip. They can provide valuable insights and recommendations that can help you make the most of your trip. Additionally, they can help you plan your itinerary and suggest activities that suit your interests.
Packing for a road trip can be challenging, especially if you’re unsure about what to expect. Consider the weather conditions and pack accordingly. It is also essential to pack essentials such as a first aid kit, snacks, and water.
By following these travel tips, you can ensure that your road trip to Alleppey from Bangalore is enjoyable and memorable.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best route for a 3-night road trip from Bangalore to Alleppey by car?
The best route for a 3-night road trip from Bangalore to Alleppey by car is via NH44 and NH66. The total distance is approximately 600 km, and the journey takes around 10-12 hours depending on traffic conditions.
How many days are recommended for a road trip from Bangalore to Alleppey?
A 3-night road trip from Bangalore to Alleppey is recommended to explore the scenic beauty of the backwaters. However, travelers can customize their trip according to their preferences.
What is the distance by road from Bangalore to Alleppey?
The distance by road from Bangalore to Alleppey is approximately 600 km via NH44 and NH66.
What are the options to reach Alleppey from Bangalore?
The options to reach Alleppey from Bangalore are by car, bus, train, or flight. The most convenient option is to hire a car and drive down to Alleppey.
What are the popular Alleppey boat house packages from Bangalore?
The popular Alleppey boat house packages from Bangalore are 2-night and 3-night packages that include stay in a houseboat and meals. The packages can be customized according to the traveler’s preferences.
How can I plan a road trip from Bangalore to Kerala?
To plan a road trip from Bangalore to Kerala, travelers can research the best routes, places to visit, and accommodation options. They can also hire a car or use public transport to travel around the state. It is recommended to book accommodation in advance during peak season.